Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Tomboy"

I looked up the word "tomboy" this morning. The definition is a girl who behaves in a manner considered boyish, hoyden. So I looked up hoyden - a girl of saucy, boisterous, carefree behavior. That gave me something to think about because I have always considered myself as a "tomboy" but never a hoyden. However, I'll leave it up to you to figure out whether either definition is accurate for me.

There was a large vacant lot with an old barn on it behind our house. It was actually down the street and behind the houses at the other end of our block. The barn was torn down early on. The vacant lot was wonderful. We played baseball there. Yes, baseball. None of us owned a softball! Those who most often played there were Jim, Jigger, Harry, Dick (a neighbor a couple years younger), Jeanette and me. When we chose up sides to play a game, Jeannette and I were often chosen before some of the boys - and always before the other girls.

There were a couple other girls who were more interested in playing dolls or dress up. I played with them sometimes but I would rather be out with the gang playing baseball.

We also played Punch the Pig, Red Rover and Hide and Seek. All of us played these games.

Several years ago, Jim asked me if I ever had a doll. "Of course I had a doll!" His comment made me laugh - he said it must have been in "pristine" condition. Could be, I guess. It is long gone, given away or something.

I think I was probably a "tomboy" because I had 3 older brothers. They were so much older that we didn't play together. Mostly, they teased me.

1 comment:

Liz said...

It's so much fun to read of all your memories!! What a great idea for blogging... :)

But I have a question, what was "Punch the Pig"? I never heard of that before....maybe it can be a future blog topic... :)

love you!
Liz