Saturday, February 23, 2008

8th Grade Graduation



Back in the "olden days" when I went to school, elementary school was grades 1 through 8 and high school were freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. There was a graduation ceremony when we completed 8th grade. It was fun and exciting. The girls usually got new dresses. The one in the photo was one Mom made me. It was lavendar with white trim and I loved it. It was very stylish.

The best part about 8th grade graduation was that I got my braces off my teeth for that event - and I was supposed to go back and have them put on again. That didn't happen.

Braces back them were somewhat different from the way they are now. The dentist put "anchors" on the one tooth each side the front teeth and one each on one of the back teeth. When the dentist tightened the wire, it was really painful.

We drove to LaCrosse to see the dentist. I don't remember how far that was - 30 miles or so probably. Mom would drive me there and back home. Usually we would have soup for supper that night because it hurt too much to bite into anything.

The picture is one of the last ones taken without my glasses. I started wearing glasses the summer before high school. This picture also shows how I wore my hair all through high school. (My hair is a story for a later time!)

No comments: