Friday, February 8, 2008

Spectator heels

Recently my high school classmate and friend sent me a photo of her younger sister and me. We were all dressed up, sitting on the piano bench. We both were wearing spectator heels. Mine were brown and white but I don't remember what color her heels were. They might have been like mine or navy and white. These heels came in a variety of colors.

If you don't know what spectator heels look like, the heel and toe would be brown and the rest of the shoe white.

This photo reminded me that when I taught school many years ago, I wore these same spectator heels. The skirt styles were tight and the hem was about mid-calf. I taught 4th grade at Ft. Riley. I loved this age kid because they were still too young to be really smart alecky. When recess came around, I would go outside with the kids. They loved to play ball and I grew up being a tomboy. So I enjoyed playing ball with them. As Sophia on the Golden Girls always said, "Picture this...." Picture this, a neatly dressed teacher in a straight skirt playing softball with the kids! I usually had a pair of sneakers under my desk and I wore these at recess.

Isn't it amazing what memories a photo will bring back?

2 comments:

Tony and Lisa said...

You have your own blog - good for you!! I love your first entry. It helps us to know you better and it's fun to read. Good job!
I'm looking forward to seeing more...
Love you,
Lisa

Liz said...

Yay, you have a blog!!! :) I like the story...I can just picture you running around in a tight skirt playing softball. Too funny!! I hope you keep posting... :)

love you,
Liz