Sunday, February 17, 2008

California Trip 1942

In 1942, Mom and I went to California to visit her parents, brothers, and one sister. I didn't want to go. What I really wanted to do was stay home with Daddy. All the way out, I was hot so I would take off my sweater. Then I would be cold, so I would put the sweater back on. The outcome of this was a bad case of pneumonia. My Aunt Verda called a pediatrician who made a house call. He decided I didn't need to go to the hospital but I could stay with Aunt Verda and Uncle Mike. I was a pretty sick little girl.

When I finally got so I could eat or drink something, they gave me orange juice mixed with half water. Yuck! It was a long time before I wanted to drink OJ! Then I graduated to mashed potatoes. Mother spent some time thinking she might not bring her little girl home again unless it was in a casket! Finally,I was strong enough to come home.

For several years after that, I had to wear ugly tan, long stockings. I hated them!

No comments: