Friday, February 29, 2008

Daddy's "Case Exam"

My Dad worked in the Ness City Post Office from 1930-1950. Each year he had to take and pass a "case exam." This consisted of having a case with pigeonholes and 500 plus cards to put in the right pigeonhole. The cards contained the names of all the cities/towns in Kansas that had post offices and were about the size of a regular business card. The back of the card had the routing -essentially, the answer to whether Daddy put it in the right pigeonhole.

He came home for lunch each day. He would practice the case exam after he ate. When he did this, he would quietly say the name of each town or city. So I knew how to pronounce all the city/town names in Kansas when I was pretty little.

It was my job to check his practice exams to see how well he did. I did this from the time I was able to read.

Daddy always passed these "case exam" and was able to keep his job in the post office. I don't know whether he would have lost his job if he failed, but I think maybe that is the way it was.

No comments: