Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Childhood Home

This little house is the only home I remember. It was discribed in the local paper when it was being built as a "five room efficiency home." It had a living room, an eat-in kitchen, two bedrooms, a full bath upstairs, a full basement with a laundry room, one bedroom, a large room that was the full length of the house, and a 1/4 bath.

There were about five steps up to the front porch. The front porch was a vital part of our home. That is where the family gathered to sit and watch the world go by. We would bring Mama's rocking chair (used to rock all of the babies)outside on the porch plus various straight backed chairs. The adults would sit in the chairs and we kids sat on the steps.

When people drove or walked by, they would often stop and come sit on the porch to visit. It was a much simpler time then when everyone knew their neighbors and most of the other folks in our small town.

My parents, my three older brothers and I lived in this "five room efficiency home." It would be considered a "starter" home now. While we didn't even think about it, we probably grew up poor but in a house that was filled with love.

That house no longer exists but I can see it in my mind's eye and recognize it as the home I grew up in!

2 comments:

Tony and Lisa said...

I like the picture!

I think porches are cool too. We miss ours on 6th St. It made talking to the neighbors so easy!

Keep up the good blogging! We're learning so much about you!

Love,
Lisa

Ruth and Ed said...

Your house was a home filled with love and happiness. I can remember your mother in front of the radio, at the sewing machine or on the front porch. Everyone was always welcome.