Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer 1955


When school was out, I returned to Ness City. One of the first places I went was Grace Hospital in Hutchinson to have a tumor removed from my upper left side below the base of the neck and a couple inches from the spinal column. It was approximately 1.5-2" long but with no "fingers" of tissue growing down into the muscle. Best of all, it was benign. For many years, one could play tic-tac-toe on the scar. It is not so visible now but there is an indentation in that spot. My left arm was immobilized for the term of healing.

So when Old Settlers Reunion came around in early June, I could not dance because of the sling. That was always an important part of Old Settlers - meeting old friends and classmates - dancing - visiting and catching up with each other's lives.

During the summer months, I did my "Methods of Teaching" correspondence class. I passed it and was certified to teach in the fall.

Mom and Bill continues to pressure me to give up the idea of marriage and teaching and return to K-State for my junior year. I am sure Chuck's parents tried to cinvince him to change his mind, too. However, both of us had made up our minds that we would get married.

Friends in Ness were very generous with useful gifts even though there was no shower. We made arrangements with Rev. Henry Jongema in Cimmeron to officate at a small, private, family ceremony on Sunday, August 21, in the Cimmeron Methodist Church, before the early church service. Rev. Jongema had been the past at the Ness City Methodist Church when I was in high school.

Mom, Bill, Chuck's folks, brother and sisters were there. I believe Bob and Inez may have attended and Chuck's Aunt Doris. After the ceremony, we drove to Ness in the 1932 Chevy coupe Chuck's father gave us. We packed up all our worldly goods and headed to Junction City for life as Mr. and Mrs.

The photo was taken by Chuck's father in his Coldwater studio. I wanted it to be at the end of the blog - but I haven't figured out how to do that!!!!! :(

2 comments:

Tony and Lisa said...

I love this picture! Your dress is so beautiful. You both look so young! Thanks for sharing your memories with us.
Love,
Lisa

BeeJay said...

We were young; he was 18 with a birthday in September and I was 19 with a birthday in Oct. - 54 years ago!!!