Friday, August 14, 2009

Summer 1954

After a year of making my own decisions, I returned home. It wasn't the easiest thing to do. When I was home with Mom, my decisions were made with what she would want me to do. I was obedient, most of the time.

My brother Bill hired me to work as his secretary at his Farm Bureau office in Jetmore. He also traded cars with Mom so I drove his new 1954 Chevy BelAir to work and home.

Summer was hot and windy. So when I drove, I rolled all the windows down, turned the radio up full blast and drove fast - really fast. We called this "4x55" air conditioning.

I never told Mom what time I left Jetmore - and I never told Bill what time I arrived in Ness! They would have been upset by the speed I drove. (Being 18, I thought I was indestructible!)

At that time in Kansas, the speed limit was whatever was right and proper for the weather and the road conditions. Therefore, I was not breaking any law by driving fast! Of course, my air conditioning was more like "4x75"!!

3 comments:

How Amy and Amber lost 80 lbs and their virginity! said...

we are totally charmed.

please join our iowa blog.

Liz said...

So THAT'S where I get my lead foot from... ;) ;)

Great post, Grandma!!

Unknown said...

4x75! wow I didn't even drive that fast in high school and I was a hellion. Thank God you are here and safe. I enjoyed the story and how you kept it secret from your family. HAHA I have done that too.