Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Some Things I Learned

People who have never experienced a divorce in the family can be very insensitive. They usually don't mean to be unkind but things they say certainly can hurt people who are already suffering.

I discovered that those women who walked out on a marriage and those women whose spouses walked out on them have very similar feelings. I found this to be true because of my friendship with a lady who had two husbands walk out on her. I think twice would be totally devastating.

I attended several different singles groups. It was quite interesting to find that the widows looked down on the divorcees - I have observed that sometimes the widows advoided being divorcees because their spouses died before a divorce could happen.

In the scheme of things, it seems the widows are at the top of the social ladder; the divorcees whose husbands left them are in the middle and at the very bottom are those of us who walked out. Widows were much more accepted by other folks.

Friends of a couple who divorce think they have to choose sides. They really don't but most often they either choose sides or move on to friendships with folks who don't make them feel threatened. I found that married women are either intimadated by divorcees for one of two reasons: 1) they are afraid if it happened to me, it might happen to them. 2) They are afraid I might want their husbands - when I wouldn't want them if they were served up on a silver tray!

I noticed that most widows drove expensive cars. The rest of the single ladies - not so much. Although one lady commented that my red Beretta was a pretty nice car. She was correct. I really liked that red Beretta!

No comments: