Friday, September 5, 2008

Our Family Cars

I don't remember all the cars my family had but I do remember some of them. The first one I remember was a 4-door Chevy (year unknown). Then we had a 4-door Plymouth with a push button starter. I think it may have been black. It is probably the first car I was able to drive. I remember a picture of me sitting in the driver's seat. The last car that Mother had while I still lived at home was a 1951 black 4-door Ford with a big sunvisor - this sunvisor made it look like the car was wearing a visor like the ones we see in pictures of the old-time gamblers! I drove this car a lot!

Mom and I left one early morning to drive about 120 miles to Hutchison to find a prom dress for Senior Prom. I was driving and hit a patch of black ice. The car spun 180 degrees, took out the mile marker with the passenger side front quarter panel, and set the car down in the ditch facing the way we came! Scared the heck out of me! Mom said I was white as a sheet. Mom calmly told me to move over. She got in and, with the help from a man who stopped, drove us out of the ditch and straight on home! No more shopping that day (and it was a school day, too!)

I don't know how long it was before we made the trip to Hutchinson to buy the prom dress - but when we did go, there was no ice on the highway!

No comments: