Friday, September 12, 2008

More about Mom

My Mama was, sometimes, a funny lady. One time when my kids were little we were visiting her from Iowa. It was summertime and the windows were open to get some air circulating.

We had gone to bed early. There was a yappy little black dog on the block. That dog was outside yapping and keeping us awake. Mama grabbed her duster (robe) and the broom and headed outside. It was so funny to see this little, plump lady in her robe and her pink hairnet chasing that little dog down the sidewalk with the broom! She didn't catch the dog but the dog did go home - and also shut up!

An interesting thing happened at Mama's funeral. There was a dog outside barking. It reminded me of Mama chasing that yappy little black dog. It felt like my Mama was saying, "Remember?"

I think my family was/is filled with people who were sure they were right about things - any thing. Mama would always say, "I'll bet you a $500 dollar bill!" No one ever collected when he or she was correct. However, betting that $500 dollar bill has continued through two more generations of ladies - and we don't pay off, either!

No comments: