Thursday, September 25, 2008

More Pot Pourri

Border print skirts became fashionable when I was in high school. A border print is fabric that has a pattern around the bottom of the skirt. Mom made me one with a border print of a piano keyboard. I don't remember the skirt color except for the piano keyboard - black and white, of course. I really liked it.

My favorite shoes were a pair of white buck oxfords. They had a sort of red rubber sole. I had these when I was a freshman in college. I was home on vacation when Mom told me I should go outside and wring a chicken's neck - so she could cook it. There was no way I could do this! So she came out and wrong the chicken's neck - that darned thing bled all over my white bucks! Boy, was I upset! Those shoes were never the same.

I was never very tall - about 5'4" and weighed 100 pounds when I was in high school. I think probably I was conceited about my tiny waist! My mother always said she was 5'2" but I'd almost bet she was just about 5'!

You have probably heard people talk about delayed gratification. If you haven't heard of it, it simply means delaying buying something one wants until that person can pay for it. I learned that when I was pretty young. Mom made this great chocolate cake with brown sugar frosting (yum!!). I always ate the cake part first, leaving maybe half an inch of cake with the frosting. I saved the best for last! Then I ate the frosting with just a little bit of cake! Growing up in the 40s and 50s, people didn't buy things they couldn't afford. They took out a loan to buy a house and seldom charged things.

No comments: