Monday, March 3, 2008

Long Hair

My Mom always wanted me to look my very best. So when I got my "pigtails" cut off, I tried to pincurl my hair but I was very awkward at it. So Mom would pin up my hair. We would use the hair dryer to dry it.

Can you picture the dryer with a "hose" connected to a plastic hood? The dryer blew hot air through the "hose" to the plastic hood I would put on my head. Sometimes I would hum just a bit below the sound of the dryer. Mom would think something was wrong with the dryer. Of course, that was the purpose of the humming!

A few years later, girls rolled their hair on foam rollers. I wasn't good at that either. (Maybe I was just lazy?!) So Mom continued fixing my hair all through high school - and it always looked really nice.

I went off to college at K-State in Manhattan with shoulder-length hair. I got very frustrated trying to roll it up and dry it each time I washed my hair. By the end of the first month, my hair was no longer shoulder-length! It was cut so that it would hang down to my chin. - And I was able to take care of it. It probably didn't look as nice as when Mom did it - but she didn't go to college with me! She did want to know why I had it cut! I wore it about the same length until 1984.

No comments: