Saturday, March 15, 2008

1937 Smith Family Group



This is one of the very few photos of me with all my family. I know of only one other. It was taken in Santa Monica, California, in 1937, when we visited Mom's parents and several of her siblings and their families.

The twins had each other and when I came along, suddenly there was someone for Bill. He carried me around long after I was able to walk. I adored him. When he left home after high school, his senior picture was on the library table. I would hang on to the edge of the table and talk to "Billie" and wonder when he would be home again.

The twins wanted to trade this baby girl for an old sway-backed nag. (Several years ago, Dick told me he was glad they hadn't traded me because I lasted lots longer than that old nag!)

Mother intended to name me Betty Jean. Daddy's youngest (and very spoiled)sister told Mother that Betty Jean sounded like a boy's name. So Mother named me Betty Jo! (Do you get a hint of how my Mom felt toward her young sister-in-law?)

Mom always called me Betty Jo, never just Betty. So, to this day, if someone calls me Betty either I don't hear it or it irritates me. That's a bit silly, I guess, but that is the way it is!

2 comments:

Kingindian said...

Nice photos…so classic!
Im just wandering around blogger
Visit mine if you have time
Goodluck with your blog

Tony and Lisa said...

You were so adorable! We're all amazed again at how much Tony looks like your family. Good blogging!
Lisa