Monday, March 5, 2012

Jobs Part 4

Looking for a job became a big part of my life after being fired. When I had a job there were other places that would have hired me. No one was interested when I was without a job. Life is funny tht way.

A friend suggested I chould get a job selling cars since I really liked cars. So I checked it out and ended up with a job with the Chevy dealer. Selling cars is not a 40-hour work week. It's more like between 60 and 80 hours! And working that many hours is hard work for anyone!
There was one other woman working as a salesman. She took me under her wing and so did my cubicle mate.

I learned a lot about the different models, about how car salesmen had to deal with people. I sold some cars but I am not now, nor was I then, a "closer." I didn't last very long at the job. One of the perks was being able to drive all those jazzy new vehicles!

I applied with a temp agency. My idea of a temp worker wasn't very complimentary - until I became one myself. I discovered most temp workers did the job well and were dedicated to doing that.

I am good with telephones and worked several places as the first voice the customer heard when calling. Those places usually wanted me back in any capacity and, especially on the phones.

Later I went to work at Rockwell as a temp in Human Resources doing a variety of things. This eventually ended up with another temp job that, if it worked out, would lead to becoming a permanent Rockwell employee. I was there as a temp for about a year and then full-time for a couple years.

No comments: