Friday, October 17, 2008

My Sophomore Year

The classes I took as a sophomore were English II, Latin II, geometry, biology and phys ed.

I was in geometry class when my brother, Bill, came to get me so he, Mom and I could drive to Hutchinson where Daddy was in the hospital. I think I probably did ok in geometry because I got Bs in the class. The trauma of being called out of class and Daddy's death made geometry not my favorite class the rest of the year.

My teachers were Mrs. Linn, Mr. Brown and Mr. Durst. I think Mrs. Linn taught both English II and Latin II. The Latin class had shrunk to five girls - sophomores, junioes and one senior. It was one of my favorite classes.

I was elected class secretary this year. Coach Goldsmith was our class sponsor. I don't remember exactly how it came about but we purchased a heifer to help with financing our week-long senior sneak trip. We started with 47 classmates. We added three new classmates and one moved away. Then in April we were saddened by the death of our classmate, Aldon Debes.

Each school year was a busy time. Our football team was conference champ; the basketball team lost some games and pal Sandy was elected Yearbook Queen.

Biology class was just before lunch. When we were dissecting frogs in class - and I went home for lunch I couldn't eat at all. Ugh! I didn't like that part of biology but I was fascinated with genetics. Besides the dissecting business, Mr. Durst would tease me by making remarkds about "B.Jo and Joe." I didn't think it was appropriate and it probably embarrassed me. More about this in a later post.

The class I forgot for my freshman year was a literature class. We read lots of different books; some Shakespear, Silas Marner, and probably some poetry. Somewhere along the line, I became fascinated with Edgar Allan Poe's writing.

Music continued to be part of the school day with band, glee club and mixed chorus. It seems that music has been part of my life since I was small. I enjoyed playing in band and singing in chorus and glee club.

1 comment:

Dave Williams said...

BJ --

As a fellow blogger I just wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your memories. I think it is very important for us to keep such journals and leave a record for our kids, grandkids and people in general so that they can know what life was like when we were young.

Congratulations on a wonderful job! Keep writing!