Friday, October 31, 2008

Junior Year


I am not sure why I didn't have my glasses on for this school photo but I didn't. (My current driver's license photo is also without glasses - I haven't figured that out either - the person taking the photo asked me to take off my glasses!)

The sumer before my junior year, I worked full time at the Rexall Drugstore. It helped me earn some money. I always saved half of my wages. This money, along with $12/month check I got as long as I was in school, helped pay for my college expenses. I think the $12 was because Daddy was a WWI veteran and I got this as his survivor. I continued working during the school year also.

The classes I took my junior year were English III, Typing I, bookkeeping, civics and phys ed.

NCHS had a new commerce teacher. She taught typing, shorthand and bookkeeping. Many times when we asked how to do something, she would reply, "Use your ingenuity!" I didn't know for sure what that meant until I looked it up! She was a real stickler who wanted us to do the best we could all the time!

We welcomed four new classmates and one moved away. By the end of the year there were 49 of us.

We were conference football champs. Twelve of my classmates were on the team with nine in the starting lineup. Our classmates were active in academics, basketball, baseball, track, band, glee club, mixed chorus and drama. Four juniors were cheerleaders - one guy and three girls (I was one).

We were excited to order our classrings. When they were delivered, everyone loved showing off our classrings to anyone who wanted to see.

Our Junior play was "Strictly Formal." I always tried out for bit parts like the bratty little sister - and I usually got the part. (Do you suppose this was type casting??) Stage fright kept me from trying out for anything else!

We were hosts for the seniors at the Junior-Senior Prom. We offered the seniors Hawaiian entertainment and decorated the high school gym for the festivities. The girls all dressed up in formals and the guys wore suits. My dress was pale blue and I wore silver brocade heels. I got to sit with my sweetie. :)

No comments: