Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Classmates


Twelve of us started in first grade together; eight boys and four girls. Ten of us went all the way through school together; six of the boys and all four girls. My neighbor and good friend Jim joined us in second grade and stayed through graduation.

Other boys and girls joined us as we progressed. Some were new in town and others moved to town from the farm. Our little home town had public and parochial elementary schools. The children from both elementary schools were funneled into the public high school. Forty-four of forty-eight students in the class of 1953 graduated.

We moved to a new elementary school when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. I liked all my teachers and I admit to being teacher's pet in 3rd and 4th grades. Both of those teachers had husbands serving in WWII.

All of my elementary teachers were ladies except for the sixth and eighth grades. It was different having male teachers in elementary school. I liked school, my teachers and I made good grades.

We started band lessons about 4th grade. So my poor Mom had to listen to me practice (and squawk) the clarinet. Later I got paid back because both of my kids played clarinet!

The eight years are rather dim memories now. My classmates are wonderful friends. The class of '53 were always close knit and we have grown closer as the years have passed.

One little sidelight, I got my first kiss in the hallway in 2nd grade from another 2nd grader. I was quite incensed about it! If you look at the photo carefully, the boy wearing the suspenders was the guilty party!

And, oh yes - do you kow whilch little girl is me???

2 comments:

Jeanne Craine said...

What a sweet picture of a most special time! Are you the one with the bow, BJ???????

Chris Rucker said...

My mother is Opal Lorraine Wierman and her sisters Fern, Peral and Kaye all went to NCHS about the same time as you. Do you remember any of them ? My father was also a student there; Donald Rucker. My mom and dad and kids returned to Ness around 1956 and stayed until 1967. I have lots of memories about Ness City. Was Gomer Stukesberry the man who bought the Rexall ?? and was Paul Rickets at the theathre. My dad's mother managed the Ben Franklin store during the war years. Any thing spark a memory for you? Thanks for the blog it has been a joy to read.