Saturday, May 3, 2008

My Big Brother



My brother Bill graduated from High School in 1939. He left home to go to Business Colege and later worked in the oilfields in Oklahoma. I was about four years old when he left home.

His high school senior picture was on the library table in the living room. Mom told me that I would put my elbows on the edge of the table to hold myself up and talk to "Billie" asking where he was and, especially, when he was coming home. I really missed him. Bill was an important figure in my life. He always had a book in hand so I learned to love reading and going to the library.

He offered me advice on how to behave. "Do as I say, not as I do." He smoked heavily after WWII but he didn't want me to. Sometimes he drank a little too much. He was an outgoing guy who never met a stranger. He had the gift of gab so necessary to be a salesman.

Whenever he came home to visit, he always slept in the bedroom in the basement. He snored really loud! Mom and I always wanted to get to sleep before he went to bed because you could hear him upstairs. He had sleep apnea, I am sure.

He took me to my piano lessons in Ransom. We would listen to Spike Jones and his orchestra in the car. If you don't know Spike Jones' music, you might want to seek it out. He was a good musician but made his money by playing crazy songs! The songs were funny and we laughed and laughed.

The summer before I went to college, he mixed me a drink. He wanted me to know how alcohol tasted so I would know if the punch was spiked. Yuck! I did not like it! (It was pretty strong!)

He came to Manhattan in December 1953 to bring me home for Christmas. I was stuck in "Student Death" - Student Health - with strep throat. He made all kinds of promises to the doctor so I could go home. The doctor did release me, requesting that I take it very easy and get lots of rest.

Of course, I went to Kansas State because that is where Bill graduated in January 1950. He served in the Army from 1942 to 1946. He attended K-State on the GI Bill and finished up in 3 years.

He became a Farm Bureau agent and lived and plied his trade in Jetmore, another small town about 25-30 miles away.

He bought a brand new Chevy Bel Air in 1954. That summer after I finished classes, I came home but I worked for him in Jetmore as his secretary. He gave me his 1954 Chevy to drive back and forth from Ness to Jetmore. I made it a practice to never tell him what time I left Ness nor did I tell Mom what time I left Jetmore because I drove very fast. I didn't break any laws because, at that time, the speed limit was what was "right and proper" for the condition of the road the the weather. You could probably call me "Lead foot!" I would roll down all the windows and turn the radio on full blast and away I would go!

Bill was the communicator of the family. He would call the twins, Mom and me and share all the family news.

He moved to Colorado sometime in the late 50s. He worked as a State Farm agent for about 37 years. He was very good at it. He served parents, then their children and grandchildren in those years.

The photo of Bill and me was taken in 1945. Mom always told me that I was a bit bashful. Can you see it in the photo? The hat with the "braids" was one of my favorites. Note the muff in one hand.

I loved my brother Bill. He was a very special part of my life for nearly 60 years. I still miss him today.

No comments: