Friday, February 12, 2016

My "AHA" Moment



Recently I had an "AHA" moment as I read in the 2013 Daily Guideposts for August 4. This moment came as a surprise and an answer to a question about why I need to write notes.

The writer quoted Oswald Chambers who wrote, "If you are going to be used by God, He will take you through a multitude of experiences that are not meant for you at all; they are meant to make you useful in His hands."

God gave me the gift of encouragement. Because I have lost loved ones to death and in divorce, He has used me to encourage others going through those things. So when I write a note to someone, He uses me and that note to offer encouragement.

I have written notes to people for as long as I can remember. There have been times when a name would come to me as I sat in the choir loft at church. That was the person who needed a note.  Sometimes I would write the note and mail it the next day.  Some times, when I really wasn't "tuned in," I would ignore the nudge. Usually there would be more nudges until I finally wrote that note.

Now it has become a regular part of my morning.  I know people who might need a note, so Don and I write to them. Sometimes they are people I know personally and sometimes they are relatives of people I know - then I may ask the person I know if it would be okay to write a note. Sometimes the note is simply to say thanks for being part of my world. I find that my life seems to go better when I am writing notes to people who might need to be reminded that someone is thinking about them.

Now I understand why I write notes.

No comments: