Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Condo

     I moved into my new home, my condo, 18 December 1989. The job at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics allowed me to buy a condo close to I-380. It would make my commute to Iowa City easier.
     I had possession the week before I moved in. New silver gray hi-low carpeting was installed.  Several friends helped me paint where it was needed.
     On moving day a number of single friends and family helped me - making several trips across town. My son-in-law told me whenever I sold the condo, I needed to sell the piano with the condo because no one was going to be able to move it down one flight of stairs.  It had been difficult enough to get it upstairs!
     The condo had a large living room and master bedroom with a smaller second bedroom, a full bath, nice dining area, and a narrow galley kitchen. It had a wonderful airy feeling.
     I loved the fireplace and used it often. The chinmey cleaner took care of it annually. Big brother Bill warned me not to put the hot ashes in anything and never set them out on the deck!
     Every piece of furniture, with the exception of three pieces, I chose and bought. There was one dresser that I painted black, my piano that I brought with me. The third piece was a beautiful pyramid chest of drawers that was a gift.
     Things that made it home were the clown poster, the lighted glass curio cabinet, photos of family, a beautiful stained glass butterfly that son Tony made for me and my piano.
     A later addition was the beautiful painting titled "Looking Forward" painted by a local artist, my friend Barbara Jones Prall.  I call the  painting simply "The Lady."

No comments: