Saturday, April 14, 2012

Divorce, Revisited

I love to read fiction - suspense, mystery, romance - but at the beginning of this new path, I quit reading any fiction. Every book I read was positive and/or self-help. The best book on divorce I ever read was Jim Smoke's "Growing Through Divorce." It is no longer in print but probably can be found somewhere online. Smoke's contention is that we have a choice - we can grow through divorce or go through it. We can make the choice to be a victim and go through it or we can become strong and grow through it.  I chose growth.

At the beginning of this path, Life was from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m (work) and Existence was from 4:01 p.m. to 7:29 a.m. It wasn't much fun. Fortunately I didn't stay in that place very long.  Life took over for Existence.

I read books by Leo Buscaglia, Peter Marshall, Wayne Dwyer, Doug Manning, Henri J. M. Nouwen, Bernie Siegel, John Powell, and a wonderful book by Marie Chapian titled "Discovering Joy." It is out of print, too.  These books combined with lots of loving people, who walked beside me, helped me grow.

I will tell you I do not believe in divorce but sometimes it is necessary. I struggle with the Bible verses regarding divorce but I know Jesus loves me and forgave me.  I know that He used me and what I experienced in many ways and many times.  I am truly blessed.

No comments: