Saturday, November 20, 2010

Musings from 2002

Have you ever looked at the bookcase close at hand and seen a book/notebook that you don't remember? Yesterday I saw a blue, spiral notebook on the bookshelf in the den. I didn't remember what it was so I got it down. It contained some interesting musings from a prayer journal. I thought I would like to share some of them.

This was written at a time when I was seated in the sanctuary of our church. The light was dim and it was very quiet. My assignment was to write - about whatever moved me. So here it is.

When I am centered in You, the things You want me to do become clearer. The words You want me to write flow from the pen without conscious thought. You are in the writing. I hold the pen but You cause the words to be formed.

You give the names of people who need the notes or prayers. Since you know what they need, it isn't necessary for me to know.

When You give me a name and I delay writing the note, You send the name again until I act on your "suggestion" and write the note.


When I listen and do Your will, life is so much better because then we can get on to other things.

You can help me with the needed discipline so I can "Be still and wait upon the Lord." "Be still and know...." I don't slow down and stop to listen for Your "still small voice."

Be still; banish the distractions. Rejoice in the sounds instead of being distracted. Thank you for ears to hear the rattling of the window. I can hear it because You gave me ears.

I love this sanctuary because You are here amidst the quiet, the beauty. This place exists as a gathering place to worship you. We are so blessed to have these paces to worship You - and to live in this country where we can worship You freely and without fear.

When this place is quiet, You are here. When it is filled with music and the sounds of worship, You are here.

There was a time when I sat in the 3rd row and the sunlight streamed in through the rose window. It fell upon me like a golden glow and it filled me! What an awesome feeling to be filled with the Spirit!

To sit in this place and realize all the others who have sat here in the last hundred years is amazing. Your people came to worship. People like my friend Marie who loved You. She also loved me and wanted the best for me. People like Curt who sang your praises. I think he is singing there in heaven.

The young men who worshipped here and went on to serve their country. Some didn't come back. Many of those are with you.

Pastors like Henry Jongema, LLoyd Kellams and Dick Watkins who spoke to my heart. People like Jan and Ruth who play to your glory - like Tony when he sang that solo here with tears streaming down his cheeks - he just closed his eyes and sang for You. The young people who produced and performed "Celebrate Life" in this sanctuary. They sang to You.

No comments: