Thursday, July 15, 2010

Marion High School



Patti and Tony attended Marion High School. they kept busy with school work and extra activities. I loved going to all the events from teachers/parent conferences, to plays, ball games and band concerts. I wanted to attend every event they took part in because I enjoyed all of it!

Patti played basketball in Junior High and her freshman year. She decided she wasn't willing to put all the time in for practice if she was going to sit on the bench and play only a few minutes now and then. I hated it that she decided she'd rather concentrate on music and drama. I loved watching her play because she had a wicked left-handed hook shot! However, she was the one who had to put in all the practice time so she made the decision and I backed her in it.

She and Tony both played clarinet. I think my Mom wished two clarinet players on me to get even for all the squeaking I did with the clarinet when I was growing up! They both played in concert band, pep band and jazz band. As the photo shows, Tony was drum major for the band. He did hate that shako hat! Patti was first chair clarinet and Tony was second chair during Patti's senior year. That was the year the band marched at Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I think it was also the year the jazz band competed in Fremont, Nebraska. The kids often volunteered me to chaperone some of their trips. I was along on the Fremont, NE, trip. Tony became first chair clarinet his jurnior year, after Patti graduated.

The high school play during Tony's freshman year was "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown." The cast was made up of seniors, one sophomore and one freshman - Tony who was cast as Linus. The senior girl who played Linus' sister Lucy became good friends with Tony. It was a fun play. I think Tony can probably still sing most of the songs. He became more interested in the technical aspects of drama - sound and lighting. It seems to me he built a sound board for the school.

Patti played Bar-Bar(e)-A in the play, "The Apple Tree." The photo shows her in costume for the play. I don't know whether we can see the jewel in her naval or not! It was a fun play, also.

No comments: