Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Learning to Sew and Sewing





Mother had a treadle Singer sewing machine. She tried to teach me how to sew. I had a terrible time with that treadle - I'd make it go backwards and it would break the thread. It would really upset my Mom.

The only thing I remember making when I was a teenager was a short sleeved blouse. The material looked like newspaper print - all white with black writing. It was fun to wear because it was different.

When I left home after I got married, Mom gave me her mother's electric sewing machine. It was old - but I didn't have to worry about treadling it backwards and breaking the thread!

The next thing that I remember sewing on was a pair of black slacks. I really liked them and the zipper broke. I didn't know it was difficult to put in a zipper. So I went to the fabric store, bought a black zipper, came home and sewed in into the slacks. Success! Mom was very amazed that I could do this - especially after all the trouble she had with me sewing on her machine!

I learned to sew by making clothes for Patti and Tony, and ultimately for myself. I really enjoyed sewing and made every thing from knit shirts to night gowns. I made nearly all of my own clothes for many years.

One year I made parkas with snap-in pile linings for Patti, Tony and me. They were nice and warm. I made two prom dresses for Patti and a white dinner jacket with black piping for Tony. Nothing really intimadated me.

I made dresses for Patti and me for my sister-in-law Jane's wedding. I was matron of honor and Patti was a bridesmaid. Then when it came time for Patti's wedding, I made two bridesmaid dresses (above with Lisa and Dawn wearing them), Patti's wedding gown and my dress. All above. I was very proud of the wedding gown.

I made pantsuits, jackets, blouses, skirts, etc., for myself. I even made Tony a leisure suit when they were popular.

When Patti was a junior and Tony was a freshman in high school, we had a new band director who wanted band uniforms in the drum corps style. So many band moms cut out satin shirts, double knit black pants, and gauntlets. It was a BIG project, but with teamwork, we got it done and the band really looked sharp!

I even made my clown costume when I volunteered with St. Luke's Clown Connection. The first one is shown in the photo above. Later JoyToo (my clown) grew up a little and became a tomboy who wore "bibbies."

I quit sewing in the mid-eighties and I have no desire to sew, now. Whenever I think I would like to sew something I take a deep breath and remember, I don't really want to do that.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Wow, I never knew you sewed Patti's wedding dress! Phenomenal!! It loks GREAT! :)