Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Family Trips

We usually visited family whenever we went on trips. We visited Daddy's brother, Chan. He lived near Raymond, KS, on the farm where he and Daddy and all their siblings grew up.

We had to drive across a short, wooden bridge that rattled as the car drove over it. That rattle always scared me. So I think I always sat on the floorboards of the car so I couldn't see the bridge or the creek it spanned.

Usually there would be quite a family group who got together on the farm at Uncle Chan and Aunt Mae's. There would be my parents and brothers, Uncle Chan's kids, and other cousins with their parents.

We also visited Mom's sister, Ruby, in Wiley, CO. It was a very small town. I think it was smaller than Ness. There would be Aunt Ruby (my Mom's youngest living sister) and Uncle Darryl and their son and daughter and our family. One time we went there for the son's wedding. I am not sure I had ever been to a wedding unless it was my twin brothers' weddings.

We visited California where Mom's parents, brothers, and sister lived with their families. I remember the trip in 1942; I think we went out on the El Capitan streamliner. I know we went out in 1953. There may have been one other trip but I am not sure.

We didn't take family "vacations" where we went some place to see the sights. We always visited family. We saw what sights there were to see on these trips.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We too only traveled to see family and it was only across the river for holidays. We never went for an over night stay while I was growing up.