Tuesday, February 17, 2009

California Trip 1953



My brother Bob, his wife Inez, their son nearly two-year-old Richard, Mom and I drove to California to visit relatives. It was a long drive so we all had a turn at holding and/or keeping track of Richard - and keeping him entertained.

We spent time with Mom's mother Grandma Carrie, one of Mom's sisters, and several brothers and their families. Mom and I stayed with Uncle Charlie and his family. He took me sailing in the ocean in a very small boat. I don't remember being scared but I really got sunburned. Some vinegar helped take out the burn.

We spent time on the beach and at the Santa Monica pier. We went on some of the rides - the Log flume, bumper cars, and the carousel with Richard. I really liked the bumper cars but not the log flume so much because we all got very wet.

We saw Grauman's Chinese Theater and looked at all the hand prints and foot prints of the Hollywood stars on the Star Walk. We visited Forest Lawn Cemetery where many Hollywood stars were buried. If I remember correctly, they had a rendering of the Last Supper - a statue-type of thing. It was beautiful.

We also visited Catalina Island. We rode on a glass-bottomed tour boat there. It was interesting. We saw the ballroom there where Lawrence Welk and his orchestra often played.

I'm not sure whether it was this trip or not but we did visit Knott's Berry Farm. We enjoyed eating there. The berry jellies and jams were delicious!

I don't believe I recognized it them but I am a real flatlander! The ocean and the mountains are beautiful but all that water and the heights make me nervous.

It was a pleasant trip and the last time I saw Grandma Carrie. Grandpa Burt died in 1952 and Grandma Carrie died in 1957.

1 comment:

Tony and Lisa said...

What a fun vacation and wonderful memories. Have you been to California since then? Cute pictures, too!
Love,
Lisa