Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas When I Was Growing Up

Growing up in the 40s and 50s was a good time to grow up. My little hometown was a good place to live and grow up. Celebrating Christmas was much different than it is today.

The stores didn't put up Christmas displays until after Thanksgiving - giving people a chance to celebrate and be thankful in November. The stores didn't put out the advertising the way they do now. As far as I can remember, there were no artificial Christmas trees nor white lights.

We always had a small four to five foot tree that we decorated with a few ornaments and one string of colored lights. There was a small white church that was always placed under the tree. One of the colored lights went in the back of the church to light up the windows. There was also a 3-4" ceramic Santa Claus under the tree. That same Santa Claus has been under every Christmas tree every year since I was a child. - It will be under our tree this year, too. It is a little beat up and some paint is missing but it connects me with people who have gone on ahead and simpler times.

I don't remember any specific Christmas. I think I probably got an orange or an apple, some candy and one or two gifts. I didn't feel deprived because it was the same way in most homes back then. I did get a doll that could open and close its eyes; a baby buggy and a doll house with tiny furniture. Of course, those didn't all come the same Christmas.

Mother cooked Christmas dinner - it was probably a roast chicken with dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy and corn or green beans. There would be cake or pie for dessert. My three brothers would have been there with Mother, Daddy and me.

I don't remember sending and receiving lots of Christmas cards. We probably sent them to relatives and a few old friends - all who lived far away. People didn't write long letters detailing what they had done all year.

As I said, it was a simpler time back then.

No comments: