Sunday, April 13, 2008

Our Floor Furnace

Our home was heated with a floor furnace. The heating unit hung down from the floor into the basement space. The part that hung down was probably about 4'x5'x4'. Whenever anyone went downstairs, someone upstairs in the kitchen would hollar, "Look out for the...." BONK! "floor furnace!" Even though we all knew it was there, all of us "bonked" our heads more than once on the floor furnace. Ow! It hurt, too!

I always stood on the floor register in the winter after I got ready for school. When the furnace was on, it would cause my skirt to flare out - and I liked that! It would also singe the leather soles of my shoes - and Mom didn't like that! (Just a side note, until I was about a junior in high school, girls could not wear jeans or slacks to school.) So standing on the register to get warm felt really good!

Mom always put her cinnamon rolls in a pan, covered with a tea towel, on the floor furnace to raise. She did make yummy cinnamon rolls! When the rolls were raising, and Mom was not in the living room, I would stick my finger in the butter/sugar mixture - Mom didn't like that - but I did! Yum!!

No comments: